Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Words For Sale

Lately I feel as if I've turned into a bit of a word prostitute...selling them off for a few dollars at a time until the dollars add up to something good.

If you're one that follows the articles I post on Associated Content, then you've probably noticed that the subject matter of my recent articles is a bit off from my normal gig.

I mean common?
Me?
Writing about bed wetting and toilet training?
There would have to be some reason that I had chosen this subject matter for the crazy collection that has been recently published.

There is a reason.

Dollars.

Writers aren't a whole lot different from artists...
Most of us are starving...
Only a few of us ever get noticed...
And that's only after we're dead.

As I wrote that just now I started thinking...
What if, years from now, long after my bones have turned to ash, someone decides to do a bit of snooping into my portfolio of work?
I have turned my legacy into a collection of articles highlighting the joys of excrement.
Wonderful.

Of course in a perfect world I'd be one of the featured authors in Oprah's Book Club and would spend my days lounging on the deck with my handy laptop. Sadly, my world has yet to reach that stage of perfection just yet...so I bide my time hooking out my talent 450 words at a time.

It's a hard knock life...

But one day, when I'm hanging out by the pool in my $1.7 million dollar house overlooking the ocean in Hawaii - I'll drop you a post and let you know how I'm doing on my tan.

1 comment:

Michelle L. Devon said...

It's not so hard.... think of it this way - you could be flipping burgers, pumping gas, or showing people to a fitting room - or - you could be kissing the bosses ass in some corporate job, spending more time at work than at home.

Me... I lounge by the pool with my laptop. Don't have to be famous to do that, thank goodness!

Your time will come.

In the meantime... enjoy reading yourself on Unsent Letters today:

http://ourunsentletters.com/blog/?p=404

PS: the word verification on your blog today was ROTTEN! LOL