Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rebuilding Frankenstein

About a week ago my computer started acting a little hinky...
Not in the mood to mess with diagnosing the real "problem", and confident that with the laptop as a backup I wouldn't suffer any serious withdrawl symptoms, I decided that I would just format my harddrive and start over.

Great plan.

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes the only choice is to just start from the beginning, but in this case reformatting the drive didn't fix anything since my problem was hardware related and not software related.

Anyway...that's besides the point.

So, for the last week I've been sitting here, my computer functional but essentially naked.

The first thing that struck me was my programs list...which had once stretched across three columns of my monitor. In an instant, it was reduced to only the basic choices offered by Windows.

The next thing...and most disturbing...were my gadgets.

I have a lot of gadgets, and every one of them has a USB cable connected to my computer.

There are so many USB cables attached to my computer that my desk resembles some kind of Frankenstein experiment.

We're talking an absurd number of gadgets...so many that when my son asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year my reply was: "A 7-port USB hub, please."

Oh yeah folks, I have a problem. And seconds after re-booting my computer after my brilliant plan to reformat my drive, I realized that my problem was biting me right in the butt.

A series of rather irritating Windows prompts began to display on my screen:

"Unknown hardware found"

For every single gadget that came with a cable there was a disk somewhere that held the necessary software for my computer to know what it was...

That's a lot of disks...
Cause there are a lot of cables...
Cause I have lots of gadgets...

So what are my plans for the day?

Rebuilding Frankenstein.

No comments: