Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Everything"

The culmination of 18 years came last night as I watched my first born child accept his high school diploma.

I'm not generally an emotional person.
I don't get teary-eyed at weddings.
I don't get mushy when I hold a new baby.

But as I watched my little boy walk down that aisle wearing his cap and gown, a part of me melted.

At the same time that my face erupted in a giant smile, my eyes filled with tears of joy.
I was overcome with a sense of pride. The kind of pride you feel when you see the child you have raised accomplish one of life's many milestones.

He smiled, the way he smiles when he's really happy.

"I'm finally done."

"Now that high school is over, what are you going to do next?"

"Everything."

At this very moment, the entire world awaits the little boy I once held in my arms.

Nothing could make a mother more proud.

No comments: